tubeless progress

jcblincs
ok so following the puncture last time out I am making progress with the tubeless. got one wheel done but it was a bugger. discovered a hole in the tyre that I couldnt see and the stans fluid came pissing out when I put a lot of pressure in the tyre in order to get the bead to seat. had to use garage forecourt compressor to get bead to seal then had to remove bead and put patch on tyre as stans wouldnt seal hole as too big.
pressure held overnight but after a lap of pines tyre was down a bit. after investigation the bead seal does not seam great and the slightest touch seams to make it "burp" air and bit of fluid. is this normal or is the bead / rim combination not compatible ?
suppose i could be leaking via the rim or valve due to inexperience but used tubeless valves and superstar rim tape and all seems ok.
would welcome your advice please

Re: tubeless progress

Santa Cruz Guy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: tubeless progress

Immersion Peter
I agree with Guy. Although most tyres will eventually seat and seal, the set up is much easier and more reliable if you use tyres that are designed to run tubeless.  I have used Maxxis with their LUST carcasses, Specialized 2bliss (really good range and value in my opinion) and Schwalbe, which I think are a bit fragile and overpriced.  All of these seat first time with a compressor.

Persevere, it's well worth the initial aggro.

Good luck.
It'll be all Whyte on the night 😃

Re: tubeless progress

jcblincs
Interestingly we have just done a collective 500 miles across 4 bikes in 7 days in Wales  and not one puncture. We all run tubes. As I am running schraeder tubes I am going to take the valve core out and pour some stans fluid in for now and see what happens . It's only the hawthorns of the Wolds that seem to cause me punctures.
I have some specialized 2bliss tyres somewhere as that's what came on the bike. They are good for the summer only so might dig them out and try with the tubeless. Failing that I will get some tubeless rims maybe. Cheers

Re: tubeless progress

Immersion Peter
Just been having a sort out in my shed and found a brand new 26" inner tube with a Schraeder valve.  It's no use to me, so it's free to a good home.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: tubeless progress

Jono
Using a ghetto tubeless setup I can nearly get mine to seal with a track pump, I dare say with a decent track pump I could, ive been pre gluing my tyres to the rim strip with rubber cement, seats first time every time
Gone bikein

Re: tubeless progress

Immersion Peter
Had a slow puncture on the rear of new Whyte hardtail on Sunday.  Decided to repair it last night and - surprise surprise - found ..........a tube!  The guy who sold the bike to me had said he would set it up tubeless if he could find the valves he needed.  He was evidently short of a valve so fitted a tube instead.

Got the Stans out and used a tubeless valve I had kicking around in the shed and fired up the compressor.  Changed the back tyre for a faster rolling Maxxis Ardent Race.  Job done in 5 minutes

Checked front tyre to see whether that also needed attention.  No tube there, so smiles all round
It'll be all Whyte on the night 😃

Re: tubeless progress

bevsta69
I'm struggling to find elbow and knee pads small enough to fit my tall but lanky 9 year old. There's plenty of mx hard shell types out there but I'm worried these will make pedalling hard. We have a week in Morzine plus Wales and Scotland trip this summer so need to be right. Any tips gratefully received :-)

Re: tubeless progress

Jono

Re: tubeless progress

bevsta69
Hey there JCBLINCS, I don't know where you live but if you're determined to crack the tubeless issue, my other half says you're more than welcome to come round ours with your wheels and he'll help you get sorted, either the guetto method or whatever. We're in Burwell.